[Video] Understanding Stock Gifts
MICHELLE SMALENBERGER, CFP ®
Let’s take some time to talk about the behind-the-scenes of stock gifts. This is when you are giving stock you own to charities or not-for-profit organizations. That’s exactly what is happening you give them shares of stock because you want to give them money.
- One benefit to you is that you don’t have to use funds from your daily cash flow. Your daily income and expenses aren’t affected because you’re just moving shares of stock.
- The second benefit is that you avoid paying any tax on gains your stock has generated. Not only do you not pay tax on the gain but the organization receiving it doesn’t either. Be sure not to sell the stock first.
Now that you’ve decided you’re going to gift stock to an organization you need to understand your to-do list.
- Get the details from the organization you are giving to. You’ll need to know where to send the shares of stock. Information you may need includes:
- Organization’s account number
- Name on the account
- Where that account is held (For example: Fidelity, Schwab, TD Ameritrade)
- DTC number
- Provide written instructions to your advisor or company that holds your account stating that you want to give a certain number of shares of that company to this organization. You’ll note all the specific details mentioned above so that the funds can be sent where needed.
Once the shares are received by the organization they are typically sold. It makes sense if you think about it. Your goal was to give money to that organization and they are not in the business of managing a stock portfolio. So the shares get sold and then the money sent to their bank account to use the funds as is necessary.
You may find this is helpful to understand the process and what happens with the stock you give to organizations you believe in!
Wondering how this affects your investments? Schedule a call with Michelle and Steve to discuss your portfolio today.
VIEW MORE VIDEOS FROM FINANCIAL DESIGN STUDIO
Ready to find out more?
Contact us today for a free 30-minute consultation!
[Video] Pension Option Analysis| Pension Option analysis decisions can be difficult to evaluate alone. Making the right decision can save thousands of dollars over time.
We are financial advisors in Deer Park and Barrington, IL. A team with a passion for helping others design a path to financial success — whatever success means for you. Each of our unique insights fit together to create broad expertise, complete roadmaps, and creative solutions. We have seen the power of having a financial plan, and adjusting that plan to life. The result? Freedom from worrying about the future so you can enjoy today.